Action for children - from Early Help and Family Support, Newcastle City Council
We know that many parents may find themselves struggling at this time supporting children’s learning, managing behaviour, coping with anxiety and isolation and, for many, trying to juggle working from home as well.
We are absolutely delighted that Action for Children is in a position to roll out this digital parenting support offer in Newcastle, having already run it in various parts of the country over the last 2 years. We believe this will significantly enhance the offer to families particularly during these times of social distancing.
Staff are already trained and ready to respond to parents via the platform and the service is robustly underpinned by strong safeguarding practice and appropriate supervision of staff. The service is open to all families in Newcastle, regardless of postcode and whatever the age of their children.
- The service can offer general support to parents and families via an online messaging and an instant chat service, staffed by trained Action for Children staff, working from home.
- Particular areas of support will be on the under 5s, parental conflict and emotional wellbeing but parents can seek support about any issues, including those particular to this time of COVID 19.
- The service is staffed during the daytime and early evening Mondays to Fridays.
- The messaging facility is open 24 hours and a phone call/email will be returned to the family.
- The service will be able to offer up to date information and specific advice re COVID 19.
- The service is relatively anonymous, in that people just need an email address to register – but that where safeguarding concerns are identified additional information will be gathered to facilitate a referral to the appropriate services.